0

All "Pride" Out?

Posted by Sartorial Dandy on 10:59 PM in , , , ,
The last pride event I officially attended and participated in was Atlanta's Black Pride in September of 2007.  The very first time I attended a pride event (in Atlanta in 2002), I was overwhelmed with excitement.  Coming from a small town, I felt so isolated; like I was the only gay man in town.  To be surrounded amongst other gay men gave me a feeling of empowerment; finally I realized I'm not the only one.  I was amazed at how the mayor of the city acknowledged and welcomed all visitors that traveled to Atlanta to be a part of the Gay Pride Event.  After 2002, I attended Atlanta's Pride Event each year, and the event began to lose its luster.  The very positive and uplifting workshops (Couple's Therapy, Film Festivals, HIV Support Groups, etc) were shadowed by the "shade" that I encountered.  I found most of the gay men that came to pride to either be sexually opportunistic (taking advantage of the large group of gay men) or very outwardly shady.  I thought to myself at a time we should embrace each other due to the hardships that I'm sure everyone attending has encountered at some point in some manner should take this moment to reflect and bond.  I became quite disappointed when I saw it to be quite the opposite. The "Meet & Greets" have become "Read & Greets".   At the malls, and other public places, some gay men felt a sense of "entitlement", acting obnoxious simply because there were large numbers of gay men present.  At a time of AIDs awareness, there are numerous "sex parties" being held in the late hours of night (some of them being "raw" parties).  Are you kidding?!  Come on, let's get it together.  Moreover, instead of saying welcome brother (or sister; the lesbians unfortunately are pushed to the back burner which will bring me to my next point), energy is wasted in being "catty" by turning the cheek, and making snide comments about each other.  Haven't gay men and women been persecuted enough!?  This atmosphere which is all too common has made me resent Pride Marches all together.  I understand, and totally support the message since the first official pride march on July 4, 1969 in New York City.  Gay men needed to establish a voice in the community.  Through breaking social norms in a very ostentatious manner (deconstruction of gender roles, bright and flamboyant clothing, etc), gay men were able to gain grounds in the name of liberation and equality.  Gay Pride today is overshadowed by the negative aspects I mentioned, however.

What's more is the segregation.  In an age where we must support and back one another, we have a "regular" pride (for caucasians) and a "black" pride (obvious).  Here's an idea.  In an act of solidarity, let's combine the two.  Now I'm not crazy.  I understand the premise of having two is due to the fact that blacks were overshadowed during the first pride marches.  So, in order for black gay men to have a voice, and to announce our community's special interests, we had to establish our own pride.  But is it necessary any more?  I think not.  Instead, let's destroy the inter-segregation that has occurred in the gay community (the unnecessary segregation) and show the world that "'WE' are here, we're queer, so let's get used to it".

What do ya say?  Shall we begin to spread a message of solidarity, and embrace each other, or continue on a track of segregation and shade that reflects the painful abandonment and ostracizing we have faced from our family, friends, and society.  I assure you that we will achieve more as a whole.  Let's give it a try!





0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 The Perpetual All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.